View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 05:28am
Huck Finn

Huge weekend of basketball in Vegas

Last weekend was huge for basketball here in Vegas - actually the last couple of weeks with various NBA scrimmages, NBA summer league, D-League tryouts, Korean Basketball League tryouts, Euro-League tryouts, etc.

Some interesting things happened, some good and some not so good.

The new free throw mechanic isn't a big deal. Although I don't plan on doing a lot of two-man mechanics, being aware of where each official should be makes it easier.

I saw some officials in over their heads (not talking about Nevada ). Maybe they underestimated how competitive the games were going to be.

I got to meet several officials that came in from out of town to work with us. We plan on having more opportunities for the same next year, but coming to handle business on the court will be paramount.

I got to see some basketball from the east coast again (I'm being sarcastic) - I officiated the DC Assault. I was talking with Michael Beasely and Nolan Smith a couple of games before, but almost had to T up the bench because neither one of them would sit down.

I also got to talk to several coaches and I met some NBA officials.

I always ask officials from the forum about coming out and am asked questions about game fees, etc. I found out that officials from out of town got a pretty good deal on rooms at the Palace Station - $29 and $49 per night. Our main location was right behind the hotel so driving wasn't necessary.

I'm sure Nevada will probably be back next year and I need to get BNR out here in his old stomping grounds.