Thread: Base Awards?
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 04, 2000, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cmcallm
[B]Here's the play: NCAA rules. Runner on 1st, two out, two strikes on the batter. The batter swings at a pitch in the dirt (strike three), which the catcher blocks and which rolls in front of the plate. The batter takes off for first and INADVERTANTLY kicks the ball, which rolls into the dugout.

To me this is no different than the following: 1 Out r1.
BR hits a single to right and r1 rounds second heading to third. The throw from F9 is in the dirt, hits F5 and also either hits r1 or rolls in front of him - We wouldn't call out r1 for interference on this play.

The play in question is a dropped third strike by F2 - The ball subsequently went off F2 and in the field of play. The only way I would then call out BR is for INTENTIONAL interference as I believe this was the INTENT of the rule.

Referree Magazine had a good article this month - basically saying that an umpire should use good sound judgement in making rulings and in order to do this - the INTENT of the rule should be of value.

Now reality check. It's a dropped third strike, B1 takes off for first as fast as he can (which he is supposed to)
it's not B1's fault that F2 did not field ball clealy, so in all fairness, unless B1 INTENTIONALLY kicks the ball, I have nothing.

Pete Booth

As far as awards