View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Alf,
This is where Kevin gets the rule support to confirm his "interpretation". Whether it satisfies your "logic or common sense" is immaterial.

Simple explanation: If a player is airborne and not touching anything, he is NOT out of bounds.

You would need to discard any of your thought processes that involve your conceived convictions of what is logical and understand the rule as it is simply written. Accept what is written and the fact that your interpretation of what is logical and common sense may not be the accepted norm that everyone lives by.

There, you have the only "proof" that is needed. Either accept it or not, but remember that what KWH advocates has rule support!
Perhaps you are comfortable with, "discard(ing) any of your thought processes that involve your conceived convictions of what is logical", but my problem is NOT with the rule, my problem is with HOW some have elected to interpret it.

As for "rule support", I don't read where NF: 2-29-1 states, or even remotely suggests, that after a player renders himself OOB (by touching anything OOB) he has to maintain contact with what he touched to remain OOB, which is what your interpretation requires.

Under your interpretation, a player could take himself OOB, run the entire length of the football field OOB, then jump up into the air and legally bat a live, loose ball back onto the field from OOB, and you want to argue that is what the rule intends, despite being unable to refute that being illogical. Please don't waste my time with your, "rule support", what you suggest as "rule support" is a figment of your imagination.

If you can suggest some semblance of logic, or reason that such an intent has anything whatsoever to do with the rational flow of the game of football, I'd be really interested in hearing it. Otherwise all you're saying is that "someone" has conjured up a meaning, to the string of words used, that makes absolutely no sense, or has any rational relation to the game of football, and everyone else should simply hold their nose and buy into it, despite the fact it makes no sense.

You might consider, if you accept that the rules of the game, any of them, INTENTIONALLY MAKE NO SENSE, you undermine the credibility of the game.

In the absence of a an official interpretation, You get to choose which interpretation you believe applies, and so do I. Good luck with your selection, I'm just fine with mine.

Last edited by ajmc; Mon Jul 27, 2009 at 08:17am.