Thread: Base Awards?
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 04, 2000, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Thom Coste wrote:

"In FED you may rule the the original impetus of the pitch has not been spent, and you may rule that it is a one base award. According to the other sources, I don't see that luxury in NCAA or OBR - but I'll bet you could get away with it!

I'm also sure I'll catch hell from someone if I'm wrong."

Thom,

In OBR, the fact is that you don't have to award ANY bases! If you apply OBR 7.09(a) and declare the batter-runner interfered with the catcher's play, the ball is immediately dead, the batter-runner is out and runners return! That seems pretty fair to me. Here is what Evans says about this rule:

"Professional Interpretation: The original rule implied that the interference (hindrance) had to be intentional. Under today's interpretation, interference which is considered accidental (or unintentional) may be just cause or invoking the penalty in certain situations, e.g. (1) batter accidentally strikes catcher on backswing knocking ball loose; (2) batter kicks a ball on the ground out of catcher's grasp as he starts for 1st base. These are accidental acts which may be adjudged to be interference (umpire's judgment). Any intentional act on the other hand shall always be penalized."

I think (2) above pretty well describes the play in question. Therefore, if you are dealing with OBR rather than NCAA rules, you can rule that it was interference with the catcher's play under OBR 7.09(a), take comfort that intent isn't required and see to it that the offense doesn't profit from its own act, whether inadvertant or not. Wouldn't you agree?

Cheers,

Warren Willson