View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 10:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
My stance is this. If done while tackling it is face tackling, whether the head is up or down. While blocking, it is butt blocking, head up or down. Spearing covers all other hits not included in Blocking or Tackling. The S&I supports me on this and it is a small thing but it may get IHC called more if all officials had the mind set that all helmet initiated contacts are fouls and all should be strictly called.

Butt Blocking in 1 and 2 and face tackling in 3 are both tactics which involve driving the face mask, frontal area or top of the helmet directly into an opponent in blocking or tackling respectively. both result in a foul for illegal helmet contact
Actually the S&I book does not support you at all in the example that you showed and some would say the rulebook says something else (which is ultimately the definition we go by). The example you showed could only be a spear if you judge that there was contact with the helmet first. But if there is contact with the shoulder, then spearing is not a likely possibility.

You keep saying it over and over again and I think you believe that the more you say it will become true, but that is not how it works. That being said, the actual definition is irrelevant because face tackling, butt blocking and spearing are all the same thing in the penalty spectrum. And you cannot Butt Block a ball carrier (but you keep saying it can).

Peace