Thread: TO situation
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Chuck,
I hate those sits. As I am learning this craft, I have a rule of having to hear Time Out more then one time from a coach. This gives me an out. In this situation he A) Could have finished his sentence and B) if the ball was stolen and he is calling for a time out you could CYA by blowing the whistle and say the TO was granted before the steal etc.
Of course after being given this pearl of wisdom from a senior official I am calling a nice tight game. Visitors down 3 about :20 left. 2-man crew I am trail, bench side. The visiting team has the ball, and their coach is yelling "TIME TIME TIME TIME" so what do I do? I blow the whistle and say "Time Red". NO player was asking for time and the coach was NOT making a TO symbol. He looks at me and asks why I gave him a TO. I said coach you were yelling "TIME". He was trying to communicate to his players that they had time on the clock and to be patient.
So we did what you did and called inadvertant whistle, visitors run a GREAT OB play for a 3 to send into OT.
Lovely.