Thread: Base Awards?
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 03, 2000, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.
Hey guys - Hold up for a minute and let's think about this one (using some common sense). The batter swung at a ball in the dirt. It bounces off the catcher where if not accidently kicked by the BR would most likely be picked up and thrown to 1st for an out. The batter made a bad play and the catcher a nice Block. Now some of you want to award the batter another base. I say no way. I would only give him 1st base (I would strongly claim a ball from the pitchers' plate is 1 base). We award bases to the offense for a bad defensive play, not for an offensive play. I can see the defensive coach argue for Batters interference, and the next thing is you are putting him on 2nd. That's adding fuel to the fire. But that's just my opinion.....
If the catcher had made such a great play, we wouldn't be in this pickle. While I can't disagree with your feeling toward the play, we have to go to the authoritative opinion to get the answer.

Ah-ha! The plot thickens, because even Jaksa/Roder says that OBR 7.05(h), which is the OBR section dealing with this question, is "Vague or Ambiguous." J/R says "Every runner is awarded his advance base when a pitch or in-contact throw enters DBT ... Unless a subsequent push occurs, whereupon the award is two bases." "A subsequent push of a pitch or in-contact throw occurs when such pitch or throw is errant, remains on the playing field, and is subsequently kicked or deflected, causing the ball to enter DBT ..." All of the examples, however, deal with subsequent pushes by fielders, which would make the two-base award seem appropriate. But this was a question about the batter-runner who, UNINTENTIONALLY, kicked the ball out of play. How about interference, you ask? Carl Childress to the rescue. His BRD Update 2000 revives play #250, which effectively states that in FED and NCAA, a batter-runner must INTENTIONALLY interfere, or no interference shall be called and the result of the play stands. In OBR, the umpire must make a judgement on the impact of the act on the play and may rule interference or not.

Not fair, you say? Offense gets an extra base by kicking the ball? The defense could have done a better job keeping the ball under control and we wouldn't be here, right? I'll offer a different but similar scenario, and you decide: R2, R3, B1 grounds to F6. F6 comes home with the throw, but it's in the dirt in front of the plate. F2 blocks it but it goes up the line where the sliding R3 kicks it just as F2 was about to pick it up. The ball rolls into the dugout before F3 can stop it. Run scores and two bases for the others, right? No interference. This play is similar because: a)It was the offense that kicked the ball out of play; b)The ball would not have gone out of play but for the kick; c) The kick was unintentional.

Clear? Clear as mud, I'm sure.

I see that cmcallm (You started this) has chipped in while I was writing this. In FED you may rule the the original impetus of the pitch has not been spent, and you may rule that it is a one base award. According to the other sources, I don't see that luxury in NCAA or OBR - but I'll bet you could get away with it!

I'm also sure I'll catch hell from someone if I'm wrong.

Thom Coste
Member UT