View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I doubt that this approach is feasible in practice. There must be thousands of blocks every Friday night that are "almost" spearing or "might be" a butt block. And how many such injuries have you seen in your games?

I agree with the general principle of making calls to promote safety. But this seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

Actually, I see very, very few in my games that come anywhere close to being illegal. Maybe I've been lucky, but I do think the fouls are rare which is why we seldom have those injuries. But I've also seen some clips of really nasty hits (usually labeled as "great" or "awesome" on Youtube) from NCAA games especially that are well covered by an official, but missed. OK, why are these missed? The coverage is there, the officials are well trained and presumably competent, yet they don't call the foul. What's the problem? I think it's the philosophy of we need to be 100% sure it's a foul before we throw. That philosophy works great on other calls, but not for a spear.