Thread: Ending the Half
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbio View Post
I don't know if its the offseason rust or what, but I thought I would post this on here to see what kind of response I'd get. This will be based on high school rules:

With :10 seconds left in the half, B committs a live ball foul. At the end of the down, the clock is stopped with :06 seconds left to administer the penalty. The play had ended inbounds. Following the penalty administration, the R winds the clock, the remaining :06 seconds run off before A attempts to snap the ball, and time runs out for the half.

Is the half over, or do we have to run one untimed down? I know how the rule is worded, Rule 3.3.3.A. However, I think that would only apply if during the down where the foul occurred that the time ran out during that down.

Is this correct?

The common sense officiating thing would be to not start the clock until the snap in that situation.

I'm a big fan of common sense applications of rules, sometimes getting too technical gets in the way of being fair and officiating by the spirit of the rules. If you wind the clock and then have to have an untimed down after the clock reads 0:00, you are just asking for confusion and problems.