View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Lower pay than weekend round robins, no travel, no hotel. Before everyone starts, it's not all about the money; it's about the mentality of some in ASA that you should be compensated less than usual to provide a service to a certain customer because it's an honor to do so. IMO, an umpire should not be any more honored to work a game than the participants are to have him/her work their game.
Well, it sure sounds like some of it is about the money.

I have never seen a traveling umpire not have a hotel room at a national. And to address Steve's issue before he jumps in, there can be issues with what the host determines to be a "traveling" umpire and, unfortunately, this is part of where the umpires run into conflict with the commissioners.

I agree that the minimum pay rate is too low, but it will never be able to compete with local tournaments as the expenses are enormously greater at the national.

This is a shortcoming of the council. Over the past six years, every time someone talks about money, the first target that falls into their sights is the umpire. National tournaments are no longer an "honor" for the host (as it is the umpire), but they are actually looking to make money. Over the past 5-6 years, they have cut many tournament games from 3-umpire to 2-umpire games TO SAVE MONEY. They have increased the allowance for the number of hosts umpires TO SAVE MONEY. However, many, if not most, national tournaments pay umpires higher than the minimum.

OTOH, I have been able to work some great games and tournaments because I chose to take the steps to get there. There is no doubt that I got the right tournaments which put me on the path, but I busted my hump to get to the level of being qualified and available for those tournaments. And, yes, I did have to pay for ONE weeklong clinic. But I have never come home with less money than I left.

Obviously, it is up to each umpire as we all have reasons for certain commitments or not. Some just do not have access to the path needed to be taken and that just isn't right. OTOH, if you just don't work certain games because you think "I'm never going anywhere", how would anyone know you would evenly remotely interested in moving up?

Oh, well, to each their own, just curious.