View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If I have a tag before the runner touches the plate, I point at F2 with my left hand and wait. If necessary, I might say, "show me the ball." When I've got the ball, I'll signal the out with my right hand and verbalize the call.
Pointing on a tag play is not correct mechanics. The only time you are supposed to point on a tag is when it is a force situation and you are signaling that the out came on a tag rather than the force. Otherwise, it is considered a false timing mechanism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
From the description of the OP the play is HTBT. I don't have any problem calling an out if the ball pops out "on the transfer," though when I'm asking to see the ball I'm not asking F2 to take it out of his glove.
HTBT yes, but if the ball pops out without a voluntary release, or the fielder reaches in to grab the ball instead of showing it in the glove, I have a safe call. By saying, "show me the ball," you open yourself up to a fielder picking it up off the ground with his bare hand. On the other hand, if I feel that the action is now relaxed, then I have an out if sufficient control was exhibited before the ball came out.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25