View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
I don't understand how or where in the rules you keep coming back to "LIVE BALL"?
That's okay; I don't understand how or where in the rules you keep coming back to a dead ball.

Quote:
Maybe answering this question will help me sort it out.....how do you indicate to the pitcher that it is now ok to pitch? If you declare "PLAY" or "PLAY BALL" is that not an indication that the ball was "dead" and you're now making it "live"?
No, you wouldn't make that declaration to make the ball live; it was never not live. You simply aren't allowing the pitcher to quickpitch, by holding up play (see 2009 ASA umpire manual, Page 224, top approved signal). When you are done holding up the pitcher, you simply drop your hand.

Quote:
Rule 6 Section 10 (& Section 9 for SP) clearly state that: "No pitch shall be declared when:
A. The pitcher pitches during the suspension of play.
..."

If you are indicating "Do not pitch" and the pitcher pitches, what is your call? If "Do not pitch" signal is not a suspension of play, then the pitch must be legal or illegal, no "NO PITCH".
Why wouldn't you quote the entire rule 6.10? How about 6.10-B? That is also a "No Pitch" when the pitcher attempts a quick return pitch while the ball is live, but when the umpire judges it was before the batter was ready. So, no, your conclusion that any pitch when play is not suspended can't be a "No Pitch" is inaccurate. It is a "No Pitch"; and that is what you call, according to 6.10-B EFFECT.

The "Do Not Pitch" is simply used by the PU as a tool to keep the pitcher from a quick pitch; it isn't calling time or suspending any other part of play between every pitch. It is the PU's responsibility to manage the pace of the game, making sure the pitcher doesn't gain an unfair advantage over a batter that is operating within the rules. Live ball game; you keep the ball live whenever possible, but still manage the game.