View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

ASA RS #17 says if a thrown ball strikes loose equipment belonging to the offense, it's an immediate dead ball. If it belongs to the defense, it's two bases from time of throw.

On a fair batted ball, it again depends on who owns the equipment. If it's the offense's equipment, all runners return to their bases at time of pitch, and the BR is awarded 1B. Runners advance, if forced. If it belongs to the defense, all runners (including the BR) are awarded two bases.

The exception to all of this is if it's equipment that's SUPPOSED to be in the game that inadvertently falls off the player (ie., a runner's helmet that falls off while they run the bases). The two keys are whether or not the equipment is supposed to be on the field, and whether or not it simply fell off (vs. being intentionally removed).

It's possible the DVD was referring to equipment that had accidentally fallen off of a player.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.