View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
However, it sounds like they are involved in the game at that point. Maybe its just schematics, but I interpret the ODB to not be involved in the game when they are in the ODC, but involved when they leave it to direct a runner. The results are the same. If they are involved they can't hinder the defense but they do have some protection. A bad throw by the defense that hits them and in no way hinders is a live ball. Had that same throw hit them while they were in the ODC, then we have a blocked ball.
I'll admit that I've not seen anything from ASA that addresses this specific event on the field, nor have I encountered anything definitive enough in the rule book to say with absolute authority exactly how this should be handled. The only exception to that statement is an act of interference, which would be a no-brainer.

I'm on the fence with whether or not the ODB is "involved in the game," but here are the facts:
  1. They certainly just as much right to be outside of the dugout as the base coaches do (ASA 7-1-A and 7-1-C)
  2. Coaches are afforded "protection" from an INT call if a ball hits them, so long as they didn't intentionally interfere (ASA 8-7-O)
  3. The ODB is subject to the same interference rules as base coaches (ASA 7-1-D)

I had a play a couple of years ago where the ODB was struck by a thrown ball. It hit his foot (despite his attempt to avoid it), popped up a couple of feet into the air, and was caught by F1 backing up the throw. F1 was then able to quickly throw to F2 to attempt a play on a runner heading home. In my judgment, if the ball hadn't hit the ODB's foot, there would have been NO chance whatsoever on the runner. As such, I ruled that no INT was committed, and I also did not rule a blocked ball. In my judgment, the actions committed by the ODB could not warrant either call.

Until I hear something from OKC that addresses this specific case (or someone finds something compelling in the rule book), I see no reason to rule otherwise under the above-mentioned circumstances.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.