View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with everthing but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If there is an active runner advancing, it is going to be INT. You need to remember the "circle" has zero relevance It is strictly a designated area to which the ODB is restricted until the release of the pitch. It is not a sanctuary or a safe haven for the ODB to avoid INT.

Depends. The ODB is permitted to leave the circle to direct a runner coming from 3B to home. That permission is not a safeguard protecting the ODB from an INT call.

The ODB is not involved in the game at any point. Players and coaches are specifically offered protection when in defined areas or performing specific functions. The ODB is not.

That said, when in place to direct a runner and cannot avoid an errant throw, I will probably give the ODB the benefit of the doubt.

In both ASA and FED an opportunity to get an out is required. ASA words are "The on-deck batter may not interfere with a defensive player’s opportunity to make an out". FED words are "if there is no obvious play". Different words but basically the same meaning. There has to be a chance for an out. If the the ODB is hit by an overthrow of the third baseman and there was no opportunity to make an out, I've got a dead ball and not interference. No out on this play.