View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

1. Stand back a little farther. You want to be around 12 yards off the line (which may seem like a lot). Varsity plays can move a little fast and you want to be out of the way while maintaining a good position to view your areas of responsibility.

2. Stand still before you give any signal. Let your umpire place the ball while you get back in your spot (for most plays) and blow the ball RFP back there. When giving signals to the press box, take at most 3 steps from your conference to give a signal. Give strong signals (practice them in front of a mirror).

3. Take your time is good advice. Make sure that you acknowledge the downs with your crew, count Team A, etc. Make sure you have the penalty and enforcement correct.

4. If possible, ask your assignment secretary for a veteran umpire (particularly one you feel comfortable).

5. Prepare a great pre-game. Every association is different, but most rookie referees get a green crew. Make sure everyone is on the same page starting with the crew pre-game. I also have a coach pre-game that I take with me just so I know I don't forget anything.