View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon View Post
Aside from the unappealing idea of throwing a flag in baseball....

If you know who Frank Policano and Doc Lantiere are, then you know they will tell you this: if you throw a red flag, you're on your own. They do not want you to throw the flag in any game above local League play. That means District games, Sectionals, State and (especially) Regional games.

If you don't know those two names, then suffice it to say that the 'Association' does not want you to use the Red Flag.
I do not know who either of those two are, nor do I care who they are or what they want done. If you have to follow their instructions to get games, then I guess that's what you have to do and you're stuck.

As for myself, I do what my district UIC wants done, which is in line with what the state UIC wants. My state UIC also happens to be one of the top umpires in my region, teaches at the regional umpire camp, and observes the umpires at our Regional. I find it highly unlikely he would say, "It's okay; don't throw the flag if you don't want to." I don't like carrying one because I don't like extra stuff in my pockets, but I do it. And sometimes, like last week, I actually use it.