View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
This is a safety all the way in Mass. (NCAA). Loose ball becomes dead behind Team A's goal line. And A is responsible for it being there. Yes, B touched the ball twice, but neither action took the responsibility away from A.

When B muffs the ball, it's still a Team A backwards pass (the snap). And when B blocks the ball, it's still a Team A kick.

Not to disparage the Fed rules, but honestly, it seems crazy to me if this could be ruled a touchback. To me it gives a major unfair advantage to Team A.

Take the punt out of the equation: bad snap is rolling at the Team A 1 yardline. B55 dives at it (never gains possession) and the ball squirts out thru the back of the endzone. Are you saying it's a touchback? Team A actually keeps the ball (and moves up at the 20 yard line no less)?! All because Team B touched it last when they muffed it?

Say it ain't so.
It isn't the touching that changes the outcome.

The difference between the two codes is that NCAA requires the ball to be at rest before new impetus can be applied. NF rules is a judgment if the ball would have traveled into the endzone under it's own force (impetus) or if the new force is what caused it to go into the endzone. I like the NCAA rule better myself.