View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 11:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I reckon a lot of people feel that way.
I understand the better view of a pick-off play at first, although I do not remember the last time I've seen that with R1 and R2 (and R3).

Seems like, with almost any play (hit-n-run, steal, pass ball) involving a runner going to 3B or 2b, by starting in Position A, U1 is effectively locked out, and an unnecessary burden is put on U3 (who has 2B and 3B) and PU who has 3B and Home), for want of a good view at a fanciful pick-off attempt at 1B.

Thanks.

PS EDIT to GA Umpire: Saturday night I had dinner on Lake Superior with friends from Marietta, GA. They were wearing coats.
R1+R2 and bases loaded is a reverse rotation where U1 will take the BR to second base. You can come inside or you can take the BR to second from the outside (which in 4-man is the mechanic the ML umpires have been using on the slide).

So it's still one runner, one umpire for the most part, unless R2 stops at third.

With U1 in A you never have one umpire calling both halves of a DP and you also have an umpire in A for the pickoff and the whacker at first.