View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
IMO, inadvertent foul calls cannot be reversed if even one person stopped playing as a result. You have to live and die with your calls, the way I see it. If you call foul and people are cheering and screaming so loud that nobody hears you or is looking at you (but how would you know?), then maybe. But I don't like the unringing of the bell at all. It just shouldn't be. Buck up and bear down harder next time and live with the call.
Several years ago, I had a pop-up barely clip the front edge of a clamshell backstop in an infield fly situation, and put my hands in the air and called foul; but it continued its flight and the second baseman came in and camped, and my partner called infield fly. So I just dropped my left arm.

I heard it scrape that bar, but not a soul saw my signal or heard my call (very noisy venue, heat of the moment, etc.). The batter/runner sprinted down the line, until he heard the infield fly call, and then slowed, and the two runners clung to their bases. So, we stayed with it, and it worked out. And maybe the gods have been kind to me and not given me one of those other obvious ones where you kill a play and have to die with it.