View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Here's mine....

Regular league night, co-ed game. Regulation games last 1 hr and 15 minutes. When time is up, the inning is finished and the game is over. If there is 1 minute left, you start the next inning. Of course, umpires don't wear watches, so it is our score keeper's responsibility to watch the time.

I had to call a game due to the time limit. Home team won the game. Basically, right when the home team pulled ahead, the game was over as we reached the time limit and there was no reason to continue, so being the home plate ump, I called the game.

Well, a guy from the visiting team was not happy with that at all. My ump partner (another lady) and I left the field and went to the other side of the fence. This guy threw a ball directly at my head--hit the fence at the same heighth where my head was. I looked him dead square in the eyes and said "you're out". His female coach then came up to my umping partner, and had a few choice four letter words for her umping performance. My partner didn't miss a beat, and tossed her, too. Since the game was already over, both of these players had to miss the following week.

The guy who threw the ball at me calmed down and apologized. It was the second week of the season, and I think it was the first ejection for the season, too. It gave me a good reputation with the other umpires that I don't take any crap!

When I told my hubby that story, after I told him about the guy throwing the ball at me, the only thing he asked me was "did you hurt him?".--I guess hubby knows I can take care of myself!

Diana