View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Sorry, when I coached I was in it to teach the kids the game of baseball, self discipline and repect for the game, their teammates, oppoents, coaches and officials.

I explained to them that playing ball was no different then life. You give your all and if that wasn't good enough or something didn't go your way, then you got to work harder next time.

I sat kids down for disrespecting other players, coaches and officials. If I had a question about a call that is exactly what it was. Can you explain to me the call please? Thanks. You can't want to win the game for the players more than them and you can't play it for them.

And that is EXACTLY what it is, A GAME.

So the next time you think that an umpire or any official shows up a a game you are coaching in, just to screw the kids , then try and lead by example, handle the situation without complaining. (America's favorite past time) You have an oppurtunity to show them how to be one step above the rest, so take it.

And that is how real coaches, "handle said situations" when leading kids.
The bolded part is false, I don't ever think an umpire shows up to screw a kid. I tell my players never to argue or disagree with the umpires, that it is my job.

An umpire can never cost us a game, I truly believe that and preach it, but I expect to be heard when I have a question on a play.