View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Technically, the way the rule is written, I believe the clock must start and stop. No matter, you're probably going to be able to sell the coach, who hasn't a clue either way.
Possibly...but, consider this...
Last year if a jumper "caught" the ball on a jump ball to begin the game, that jumper "gained" possesion at the same time he/she violated. Therefore, since there were no specific rules to interpret this, the team that caught the ball and violated did not get the ball for a throw-in and did not get the arrow. (Because they had first "possesion")

The NF decided, this year, to put a rule in covering this very scenario. In essence, the rule's intent was that a team cannot gain possesion and violate at the same time...just penalize for the violation.
Using this reasoning, could we say that we would penalize for the violation only and not the possesion on the throw-in, thus no time running off the clock?

In a perfect world, my hand is up ready to chop on the throw-in...I see the violation...I blow the whistle at the time I see the violation...I never had a chance to chop the time in.

Dude