View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

At an ASA invitational this weekend, 16U, we had a DeMarini bat break in two pieces. This bat has a white barrel, red handle, and an off-white grip.

The bat broke at the handle part, right in the middle of the red area. I asked our stand-by ump, who was on his off game, to take it to the tournament director and ask if they wanted to do anything with it. TD declined, so we just gave it back to the owner. I presume they'll try returning it. Not sure if they can get a refund, or if they'll just replace the bat.

The break was not clean, but rather a bunch of jagged little tears ranging from a quarter to about three quarters of an inch.

Seems to me that if you've used a defective product, you wouldn't necessarily want another potentially defective replacement.

We had this same team again in a later game, and I paid a bit more attention to their other two DeMarinis. I found "flaking" on the red part of the handle on one of them and did not allow it in the game. Probably another one that will be sent back.

I think this is the bat below [if I've done the link thing properly].

2009 DeMarini CF3 Black Softball Bat: DXCFP Fastpitch