View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Consistency is in the eys of the beholder, no matter what field you're in.
It's funny that you say that. In our state, coaches rate officials for every varsity game worked. In addition to the 1-5 rating (1 being the best), they also give "dings" for "areas of improvement" that they think you need to work on as an official. (Ridiculous and hilarious, right?) When our ratings came out after the season this year, every single person that I talked to had the highest number of "dings" in the "consistency" column.

The other "areas of improvement" are things like hustle, physical appearance, control, verbal communication, etc. I wish we could rate them too...it would only be fitting.

On another note pertaining to ratings. I tech'd a coach in a boys varsity game this last year toward the end of the season. (He was getting pounded by about 40 and screamed at me "Blow your whistle!!") I figured I would get a bad rating from him, no big deal. Well come to find out he also helps coach baseball, and one of my friends had the school in a baseball game this spring. The head basketball coach starts telling my friend about how I'm the only official he doesn't like, how he gave me a "5" rating, etc. The funny thing is that if a coach gives you a 5, he's supposed to write a special report to the state to accompany the rating. I haven't seen any report of any type.