View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STEVED21
Derock,

You should reconsider your last statement. If the youth league waives the numbering requirement (most do), then the only requirement to be an eligible receiver is to be on the end of the line or in the backfield. Your opnion of this rule should have no bearing on your enforcement of it during a game. We are there to ENFORCE the rules, not to make them up.

As far as contact on the center, all normal contact is allowed, except if the team is in scrimmage kick formation. Then he has the extra protection afforded by the rules.
I agree we should not make a rule up and I also understand that my argument is not supported in the rule book. But the rule book does not specifically address the eligibility of the center as a pass receiver (I know you're probably thinking it doesn't specifically address the guard or tackle either but they can be eligible--read on and I will try to explain my logic). Any attempt by the offense to intentionally deceive the defense on the eligibility of a player is a foul. This is why the player pretending to run off the field and then goes out for a pass is a foul. Linemen are generally understood not to be receivers. Position numbering helps the defense identify positions AND eligibility. The players on the end of both sides (left and right) of the line are eligible receivers. The center position indicates the middle of the line of scrimmage and is therefore ineligible. Again, the rule book does NOT support my argument but the rule book illustrations are more supportive of my interpretation than anyone who says the center can be an eligible receiver. I know I will have some, most, or maybe even ALL officials disagree with me but its my understanding that end of the line eligible rule does not include the center.