View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
9.10.1 SITUATION C: Team A has the ball in its own frontcourt. B1 stands within
6 feet and facing A1 while A1 is holding the ball near the division line. RULING:
In five seconds this would be a violation. In the situation outlined, as soon as B1
has assumed a guarding position, both feet on the court, facing the opponent, no
other specific requirement is in effect.
The amount of movement or the actual
body position of the player is irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
On CG situations, I don't get out a tape measure and check the exact distance if the defender is not at least "harassing" the offensive player with the ball. By this, I mean, the defender may technically be within the 6 foot guideline but not actually be doing any guarding if the offensive player is not really reacting to the defender. I'm not going to reward the defense for not actually defending. However, the threshold for actually playing defense isn't all that great. He doesn't have to be a good defender, just a defender.

Also, "past the defensive player" doesn't necessarily mean "toward the basket." Perhaps this is an editorial change the committee needs to address.

2006-07 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

5. Rules Enforcement and Proper Use of Signals. The committee has seen a movement away from the consistent application of rule enforcement and use of approved mechanics/signals.
A. Rules Enforcement. Officials need to be aware that personal interpretations of the rules have a negative impact on the game. The rules are written to provide a balance between offense and defense, minimize risks to participants, promote the sound tradition of the game and promote fair play. Individual philosophies and deviations from the rules as written negatively impact the basic fundamentals and tenants of the rules.