View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
Then, what would be considered to be "unusual" if it wasn't done intentionally? Such as, if the batter lets go of the bat, it is not "unusual" to let go of the bat with 1 hand. But, it would be to let go of it and have it in front of the catcher.

Maybe intentional wasn't the right word. But still. Give me an example of something being INT not done intentional while still in the box. And, I don't mean INT with the catcher intentionally(which is where I messed up in not making this distinction earlier).
No intent necessary. It either caused int with the catchers throw or it didn't.

If the batter lets go of the bat and it caused the catcher to have a bad throw to any base, then we have int.

Batter swings so hard that the bat comes around and hits catcher as he is throwing the ball and making him drop it. Did the batter leave the box? NO. Did the batter intend to do this? We will never know but, he did do it and it caused int, therefore it is enforced (or at least should be).

Another example is when a batter swigs so hard his momentum carries him across the plate. At the time of the throw hie was technically still in the box, but at the completion he had to step over the plate to regain his balance.

Batter: "I didn't do that on purpose."
Umpire: "I never said you did but, your still out"