Thread: Timing play??
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Timing play??

Hi all, first time poster and I am not am umpire. I hope it is OK to post this question here, if not please direct me to a proper forum.

Here is the scenerio:

ASA rules
1PU 1BU
1 out
Upon the pitch there is a runner on 2nd base, batter bunts the ball. The batter is out of the box very close to making contact with the ball, at this point no call is made and play continues. Skipping the details in between, the play stops with the runner scoring and the batter/runner stopped at 2nd base. The ball is in the circle with play stopped.

The defense appeals that contact was made by the batter/runner and the ball. After a conference between the 2 umpires, it was determined the BU saw the contact between the batter/runner and the ball. The Batter is called out, and the runner is placed back at 2nd base. Is this correct?

My understanding is, since no call was made at the time the BU saw the contact of the batter/ball and the play was allowed to continue, this would be a timing play from the time the appeal was made. Since the run scored before the appeal, the run should count.

Thanks