View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmore View Post
I am a relatively new umpire and I am having problems with this rule> Everytime I ask fellow umpires for theis interpretation it differs. The calls in questions usually involve the ball batted toward the shortstop and the runner on second breaking for third. My interpreation is interference occurs if contact is made between the runner and fielder whether " intent" was made or not by the runner. Additionally interference can be called if the runner stops and obstructs the view of the shortstop with intent.
Contact is irrelevant to the call, though it makes it an easier sell.

Quote:
I was observing a recent game and this rule was enforced when the runner on second took off with contact and never hesitated. The runner did not have to jump the ball nor was there any contact made between the fielder and runner. In fact the there was several feet of space between the two. The explanation given was that the runner "obstructed" the fielder from clear view by running between the ball and the fielder thus the runner interfered with the fielding of the ball. I disagree but I'm still somewhat of a rookie umpire. Any feedback?
Bull! It may have been INT, but the "space" between the two and the vision are also irrelevant. There is nothing which guarantees a fielder with a "clear view" of the batted ball.

Unless the runner actually committed an act of INT, this sounds like nothing to me.