Thread: Opinions please
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Speaking ASA

Any interference by the coach on this play would need to be intentional. (8.7.0) even if it hinders the defensive players.
Hell, he may have even HELPED the defense if the ball rolled back towards fair territory.

I had a similar play a couple years ago that I believe I mentioned on the forum. A hard throw to 3B came from left center or centerfield, but it was off. It bounced off the fence and hit the on-deck batter in the foot (who was honestly trying to avoid the ball) while he was in the circle. The ball popped up a couple of feet in the air, and F1 (who was backing up the throw) was able to catch it in mid-air and throw to F2 to attempt to retire the runner. The runner was safe, but it was a VERY close play.

The defense wanted an INT call, but if the ball hadn't have hit the on-deck batter, it would have gone to the backstop where no one was covering. If anything, the bounce it took off the on-deck batter's foot helped, not hindered, the defense.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.