Thread: Charged Visit?
View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 01, 2000, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Someone e-mailed me privately to say, "Hey, why the snide comment to Dave Hensley?"

Apparently my last comment to him where I thanked him for his input was taken in a negative, sarcastic way by some. My deepest apologies if anyone read it that way. That was not how it was intended.

Dave Hensley is an experienced umpire, and particularly so in youth leagues. I do indeed value his input. His questions to me certainly raise the awareness of the problems that every youth league has in delivering accurate, timely, and consistent information to its umpires. This is an important topic because it is an area in which every youth league can improve.

Little League has made great strides over the last 20 years in this area. They now have an official manual. In addition to their many clinics, they also provide booklets to help new umpires learn basic mechanics. Their web site provides some information, too, and they've never been more accessible for direct communication with your region. Even so, Little League, like every other league in the world, can improve in this area.

Once again I apologize to Mr. Hensley and anyone else who may have taken my post the wrong way. I must've had a bad week. I'm 0 for 3 in the miscommunication department.