View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
With the GD, the only exposed area that really bothers me (in terms of injury potential) is the forearm and wrist area.
I take shots mostly on the forearms, wrists and elbows (rarely does it hit the gear), which is why I like the scissors better, because if done properly, it minimizes exposure of these vulnerable areas. In the box or GD stance or any other squating position, these areas are exposed big time.

Quote:
It's worth it to be almost effortlessly locked in on every pitch, and to be able to get locked in early without too much strain.
Uh, the scissors or taint lock you in just fine, and is, at least to me, much more relaxing and effortless than any other stance.

Quote:
The scissors is unthinkable.
I started using the scissors my 4th year (1990) and continued until 2004, when I briefly tried the GD (big disappointment to me) and the heel/toe or box (not sure what the hell the difference is there). Neither stance worked for me. I got nailed constantly. The scissors suit my style and I look and feel sharper, and much more confident behind the plate. The scissors allow you an unprecidented view of the plate and strike zone, despite what its detractors say, and the outside corner is very clearly visible.

As far as chiropractors, my back was shot long before I started umpiring, due to a horrific car crash in 1981, so any damage suffered in the scissors goes unnoticed, as I have completely degenerated discs from L-2 to S-1 and a permanent stiff neck.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25