Thread: A.D. problems
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
On what planet do athletic directors have property rights at a high school? They have no more say-so than the coach, the math teacher, or the janitor. I would call the game for my own convenience and profit, but not out of some sense that the AD was some authority over me. He may boss his school's coaches around, but I'll be damned if I let an AD run my business.
Steve for the most part I agree HOWEVER, it might be semantics but there is a distinction between officials being in charge of the GAME and in charge of a FIELD.

I once did a night game (no curfew at least to my or my partner's knowledge nor to the particpants). We were in the top half of nine (men's league game) in a close ball game.

It was 11PM and all of a sudden the superintendent of the field we were playing on said - GAME OVER right then and there. In fact we no sooner got off the field and the lights were turned off.

The point is the Decision to continue or stop a game is OURS HOWEVER, the FIELD per say is not ours. If someone OWNS the field and they say GAME OVER = GAME OVER.

The STATUS of that game is now in the hands of the "powers to be"

Same is pretty much true in MLB. It's not until a League OFFICIAL gets involved that the game is cancelled etc. We have seen some pretty horrific conditions in MLB and the game continued. The Montreal Expos / Dodger series many years back when it was snowing comes to mind.

Pete Booth