View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

And even there the primary designation is the farthest advanced, secondary next farthest, tertiary least farthest. Abel is ultimate, Baker is penultimate and Charlie is antepenultimate. It is JUST LIKE R1, R2, and R3.

True, but the actual names make the play easier for me to picture. Adds some realism to have "Baker" committing interference rather than "R2."

I haven't encountered the term antepenultimate since I studied Latin. ("If the penultimate syllable is a short vowel, the accent is on the antepenultimate syllable.") But of course antepenultimate means "third from the end," so I'm not sure how you apply it to Charles, who is third from the beginning in the inning.

Someday I hope to have the opportunity to say, "The run counts, Coach. The antepenultimate runner scored before the penultimate runner was tagged out."

The YSISF uses a combination of OBR (name) and softball (number) for offensive designations: Mohammed 1, Mohammed 2, Mohammed 3, etc. It takes a while to describe a complex "what if" situation.