Thread: A.D. problems
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 08:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
So you have inclement weather and a field going bad. The AD is calling the game for you. Whatever his reason is, let's face facts. If you go against him and wait, then someone gets hurt, who do you think will take the fall?

Best advice - if the AD wants to end it, end it! Just make sure that you are paid the full price for the game.
I was working a brutal, brutal varsity game last year. The only relief I had was the field had no lights and it was starting to get dark.

We got through the top of the 7th and the home team was down by 3-4 runs. It was marginal, but since I played the top half I figured that I'd give it my best shot and maybe we'd get three quick outs.

Home coach (losing, mind you) came to me and said "it's awfully dark, don't you think?" I was, in a word, confused. I know the state doesn't have an adaptation to this and if I called the game the home team would lose (it was a 3-4 run leading heading into the top of the inning). In a moment of stupidity I mentioned this to the coach. He came back with "no it wouldn't be over, it would be suspended. I've been coaching for [blah, blah, blah]."

It was my ticket. The losing coach wanted it ended and he thought he was smarter than me, so I ended it. By this point it wasn't very light out anyway.

When I talked to the commissioner the next day, I asked him if he'd call the home coach and remind him that the game was official and that they lost. Of course this went up the chain to the state office, who verified this right away. Wonder if the coach learned anything from this. Probably my fault.