View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 01, 2000, 12:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation

The bottom line to all of this, keep your head in the game and this will never happen to you. You only have to worry about this and other rule applications like this when your mind starts to lose focus and get off track. We can debate all day what the result if we make a mistake, but this should never happen in the first place. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
I seldom disagree with Bradley but, I find all the posts interesting and I agree that it all depends on the score and time remaining.
It doesn't depend on the score and time remaining - that has nothing to do with the rule.

Quote:
If the score is close and the game could be determined by the mistake that I or my partner has made, rule book not withstanding, I am going to bring it back.
Jerry, I think that the most telling words in your sentence above are "rule book notwithstanding".

Don't we have to at least agree on a basis from which we will officiate? I am not debating anything with the "rule book notwithstanding" guidelines - because there would be nothing to debate - just have every official do what he or she deems is right and fair at the time.

Quote:
I will then go to the coach of the team who just scored and explain I take the basket off and give the ball to the correct team or I call a delay of game 'T' on the player who made the throw in, rule 10-3-7. Rule 2-3 can also be used in this situation.
I don't think that you have the authority to hand out a technical in this situation. How can the player be responsible for delay when you are the one that handed him the ball? (Yes, I know that it wasn't you - just in the general sense)

Quote:
The rule book does not specially cover this event
Actually it does. Rule 7-5-2 applies, which states that the official should award the ball to the opponent of a team who committed a violation. The case book is explicitly clear (Case 7.5.2) that The error is not correctable.

Quote:
My one over-riding rule is that the officials shall not, if possible, determine the outcome of the game by an official screw up.
I agree with your premise, but not that your goal should override rules that are clearly spelled out by the NF, or whatever organization that governs the event (NCAA, etc.)

Quote:
Example, many of us have corrected the AP arrow when the table forgot to change the direction. If I catch the mistake before a score is made or a change of possesion, I'll bring it back, by the book I can't do that. It is a table mistake of which I am responsible.
The AP arrow pointing the incorrect way is a scoring error (see rule 2-11, Scorers' Duties). Officials have the authority to correct scoring and timing errors. You are not setting aside a rule when you do this.

Quote:
Very few coaches will complain when you do what is right.
HAHAHAHAHA!! Thanks for the laugh Jerry!