View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 01, 2000, 12:06am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
I seldom disagree with Bradley but, I find all the posts interesting and I agree that it all depends on the score and time remaining.
It doesn't depend on the score and time remaining - that has nothing to do with the rule.

Quote:
If the score is close and the game could be determined by the mistake that I or my partner has made, rule book not withstanding, I am going to bring it back.
Jerry, I think that the most telling words in your sentence above are "rule book notwithstanding".

Don't we have to at least agree on a basis from which we will officiate? I am not debating anything with the "rule book notwithstanding" guidelines - because there would be nothing to debate - just have every official do what he or she deems is right and fair at the time.

Quote:
I will then go to the coach of the team who just scored and explain I take the basket off and give the ball to the correct team or I call a delay of game 'T' on the player who made the throw in, rule 10-3-7. Rule 2-3 can also be used in this situation.
I don't think that you have the authority to hand out a technical in this situation. How can the player be responsible for delay when you are the one that handed him the ball? (Yes, I know that it wasn't you - just in the general sense)

Quote:
The rule book does not specially cover this event
Actually it does. Rule 7-5-2 applies, which states that the official should award the ball to the opponent of a team who committed a violation. The case book is explicitly clear (Case 7.5.2) that The error is not correctable.

Quote:
My one over-riding rule is that the officials shall not, if possible, determine the outcome of the game by an official screw up.
I agree with your premise, but not that your goal should override rules that are clearly spelled out by the NF, or whatever organization that governs the event (NCAA, etc.)

Quote:
Example, many of us have corrected the AP arrow when the table forgot to change the direction. If I catch the mistake before a score is made or a change of possesion, I'll bring it back, by the book I can't do that. It is a table mistake of which I am responsible.
The AP arrow pointing the incorrect way is a scoring error (see rule 2-11, Scorers' Duties). Officials have the authority to correct scoring and timing errors. You are not setting aside a rule when you do this.

Quote:
Very few coaches will complain when you do what is right.
HAHAHAHAHA!! Thanks for the laugh Jerry!