View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 30, 2000, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

I think there are many points that are coming out, and I think, for the most part, most are right.

I think how this situation is handled, depends a lot on the state and level where it takes place. The state is responsible for all interpretations of the rules, case book included. And middle school is for learning. For the kids, coaches, and refs. But at the higher levels you need to really consider your actions.

Personally (in my state), I would not want to put myself on the line, by lying, when I know the game tape will not back me up. I know the commish's will be unhappy I kicked the call, but if I apply the proper rule, they will back me to the end. I can't even imagine how many tiny pieces my license would be ripped in, by not applying the proper rule and lying on top of it.

Also, Paul brings up one of my biggest pet peeves: "This is the first time all year you called that".

I get his more in Track and Volleyball, but it happens all the time. Refs "looking" the other way and not enforcing what they consider minor rules (proper uni's, getting rosters in etc.), but they do matter, especially in the state tourneys. Why will you call it when the state commish is looking over your shoulder, but not when it is a mid-season game. I hate to be a tool, but we need to apply the rules on the little things as much as the bigger ones. I could give a damn if you made one great block/charge call, if you misapply 15 other rules.

[Edited by Brian Watson on Sep 30th, 2000 at 10:59 PM]