Thread: skull session
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

You need to remember, stepping into the pitch is relatively new to the women's/girl's game.

... knows the the pitcher is getting the outside corner and maybe a bit more, are you going to just concede the strike, or teach your batter how to hit the damn thing?
I concede that stepping into the pitch is necessary when its off the plate, and I have some homework to do on this concept.

The Blue team's pitcher in the video is going to U of Houston. (Red team's is going to U of Texas) The first game of the series Blue team's pitcher lived on that stripe in the opposite batters box and Blue gave it to her. All 4 of our lefties were powerless to do anything about it except for a futile last minute lunge. Completely shut us down because we did not know how to handle it.

Game 2 was a different story for DD with a new PU. He was not giving that off the plate pitch as a strike and DD had two solid slap hits.

Something I haven't pointed out yet that you probably have surmised is that DD is a 100% slapper. My sense is that rather than step towards the pitcher she will need to step more towards the plate with her crossover step.

If you have a suggestion on this crossover step, please let me know. Specifically, as long as she doesn't step on or in front of the plate, will Blues have a problem? More specifically, say on the left crossover step the toes land in the 6" area between the plate and the stripe with the heel landing on the stripe. Is she still in the box?

I am enjoying the discussion. Thank you.