Thread: skull session
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer View Post
I do realize it if the outside pitch is 6 inches off the plate.

Until DD gets in a better mood, (or I buy her the car I promised if she led the city in something (she was second in SB's), these videos will have to do.

This video is a big Mike sized guy. Notice his back arm is not fully extended at point of contact. Wonder what he would say if I moved his T 6 inches further out?

YouTube - Hitting Outside Pitch #2
Couldn't care less about baseball.
JM is talking about two different things. She refers to the outside pitch, but her demonstration and mechanics concern opposite field hitting, not necessarily being able to hit the pitch off the plate. Of course, players terminology usually reflects their training and outside influences which is probably why there is the continuing reference to "mound" and "rubber" on a softball field.

You need to remember, stepping into the pitch is relatively new to the women's/girl's game. Fifteen-twenty years ago, many of the girls playing the game had a swing which more resembled a batter standing erect and dragging the bat around with hip rotation. Usually, it was only at the higher levels of play that you saw players attack the ball. Once the NCAA really developed a good softball program along with the Olympics did more people take the women's game in a more serious manner and it has been soaring since then. And with that advancement came the advanced mechanics which, IMO, is a good thing.

However, you want to discuss ideal mechanics of a text-book swing. My discussion is purely whether the pitch is hitable. If the batter has two strikes and knows the the pitcher is getting the outside corner and maybe a bit more, are you going to just concede the strike, or teach your batter how to hit the damn thing?

Look at JM's feet. She is standing closer to the plate which is okay. But I would be willing to bet that if she had to hit a pitch off the plate, she wouldn't have a problem.