View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Re: Look Back and BR?

Quote:
Originally posted by mach3
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Well, here you threw in a little wrinkle - the BR.

Speaking ASA, the lookback rule is not in effect while the BR is progressing to 1st base. The other runners on base may legally remain off their bases, even if the pitcher has the ball in the circle, until the BR reaches 1st.
That is a difference to ISF. But where do I find that in the book? I could not find that in my ASA 2001 Rule book, but since we don't do that much ASA here in Germany I am not that well informed on ASA (But I hope to find a chance to get an ASA License here).

Is that a new rule? Is that an interpretation? Can you quote where it is written or on what the interpretation is based.

Thanks.

Raoul
This was an ASA rule change in 2002. The rule number is the same, ASA Rule 8-8-T. The 2002 rule reads as follows (I've underlined the part that was new in 2002):

The "Look Back" rule will be in effect when the ball is live, the batter-runner has touched first base or has been declared out, and the pitcher has possession and control of the ball within the pitcher's circle. The pitcher is considered to be in the pitcher's circle when both feet are on or within the lines.

BTW, I think (not sure, though) that the phrase and control was also added to this rule in 2002. It's not listed as an "official change" in the rules changes at the front of the book, but somewhere in the back of my brain, I seem to remember that this was changed from 2001.