View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I think the first two responses were very good explanations. I would just add:

Taking an extra moment before calling the IF was a good move on your part. Some umpires think this has to be done ASAP. There is no need to call an IF immediately; make sure it meets the requirements, then call it, like you did.
I had a good example last night working the plate:

Women's SP - fairly relaxed league, two pretty good teams. runners 1st/2nd..

B hits a pretty high pop up to the left side of the inf, by the time I have judged its height, and look at the fielders, F6 is doing her job properly and gliding to her right to get it - she is still moving a little when the ball is descending, but I STILL point up and call IF, because I know she'll be there in plenty of time to get it. To me, that was still 'ordinary effort'. The point being that the infielder does not have to be under the ball from the get-go. 'Ordinary effort' means they can still move to get the ball!

There are WAY too many umpires who interpret IF as having to be a pop that the inf has to be directly under, or who call EVERY little pop as an IF....I have unfortunately seen little humpback liners called as IF.....

IF should be relatively special - I don't think I call it more than 4 or 5 times over the course of a season....certainly less then 10....