View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I do it by the book, but I've worked with guys who do it as your recent partner does. When such a partner is at the Lead, I let him do his mechanics as he wishes. When I'm the Lead, I do it how I believe that it should be done.

The problem with his concept is that it necessitates that the Trail official look at the Lead for his indicator. This is obviously takes the Trail's eyes out of his PCA and there is no reason for the Trail official to be looking over there because the Lead has to be on-ball with a try coming from his primary or he wouldn't be giving a 3pt indicator now would he? And we all know that when the Lead has the on-ball coverage that the T had better be looking off-ball, especially in 2-man, and observing the players contesting for weakside rebounding position or someone is going to lose some teeth. Once the players understand that you aren't watching them, there sure to be problems.

The mirroring of the touchdown signal by the Trail is done after the ball has gone through the basket and the players have ceased to battle for position, and is done merely as an aid to the scorer to help him see the signal. The mechanic system isn't designed for the officials to be signaling back and forth to each other during the course of play when they are supposed to be watching the players in their respective primaries.