View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 30, 2000, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

I seldom disagree with Bradley but, I find all the posts interesting and I agree that it all depends on the score and time remaining. If the score is close and the game could be determined by the mistake that I or my partner has made, rule book not withstanding, I am going to bring it back. I will then go to the coach of the team who just scored and explain I take the basket off and give the ball to the correct team or I call a delay of game 'T' on the player who made the throw in, rule 10-3-7. Rule 2-3 can also be used in this situation. The rule book does not specially cover this event, but does define correctable errors, which this clearly does not fit. My one over-riding rule is that the officials shall not, if possible, determine the outcome of the game by an official screw up. Example, many of us have corrected the AP arrow when the table forgot to change the direction. If I catch the mistake before a score is made or a change of possesion, I'll bring it back, by the book I can't do that. It is a table mistake of which I am responsible. Very few coaches will complain when you do what is right.

[Edited by Jerry Baldwin on Sep 30th, 2000 at 11:37 AM]