Thread: What a weekend
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Worked an All-Star tournament this weekend. The league had enough fields for 54 teams but schedule 75. 1 hour and 20 minuets no new with start time 1 hour 30 minutes apart. Needless to say by the end of the 3rd game on Saturday most field were at least 20 minutes behind. One was over an hour. My last game should have started at 6:30 did not start until 7:20 and I had to call the game at 8:00 (no lights). Sunday the 14U championship started scheduled to start at 5 did not start until 7:30.

I should have asked for an additional game fee, but didn't because this is just the way things happen at times.
1:20 no new with 1:30 game times is a common thing for us here for our Saturday pool play games. We schedule the typical plate-base-off rotation on the field crews. The keys to this working is:

- The plate umpire has to be ready by 10-till game time,
- When you're the base umpire and you just completed your game, you have to start the next one and work until the plate umpire from your previous game goes and changes into his base uniform and comes to relieve you.

The other trick is having your TD schedule a 30-minute field prep every 3rd round of games.