View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 05:38pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
In 6 man games in Texas, we don't really want or need an umpire. I'd probably use 4 wings before I used 3 in the middle for 5 man. There's just not enough room for a guy in the middle of the passing lanes and getting to the LOS just keeps him in the way. Plus, there isn't much for him to do besides spot the ball. The BJ has everything deep and the wings have everything on their side. The R has what's left -- in the tackle box, if you want to call it that --which at most has 3-4 players.
That's interesting. I noticed when I was coaching 6-man ball in the mid-90's in Nebraska, I coached at the Nebraska School for the Deaf in Omaha. We always used 4-man crews for our home games, only because our AD was stingy and wouldn't pay for 5. Some of our away games just east of the Omaha metro (draw a line through Grand Island and I'm talking east of this line), we had 4 or 5-man crews. I can't remember why the discrepancy. However, once we went west of Grand Island, then we definitely had 5-man crews.