View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlav View Post
ROTFLMFAOASASP!!!

OK, back at you brother. I think I follow all the way up to the ASASP part.

Here you state the long-term evolution of the "incredible shrinking BB SZ" vs. the "ever expanding SB SZ" and it is based on umpires following the path of least resistance.

To me, it makes umpires more like weather vanes (if they respond to the pull and tug) but I get the psychology and the politics behind it. I'm not sure where you disagree with my critique of the two umpires. I'm describing in the short-term (game by game) what you seemingly just described here long term.
I disagree. Softball umpires have been instructed over the years to bring it down, pick it up and spread it out. I don't give a damn what the teams or fans think. I will not disagree that some umpires will react to a catcher framing the ball especially after a few demonstrative pulls making the umpire look bad. By the time the catcher moves that glove, the umpire should already have a call in mind. Some will call a ball as a F.Y.C., but I don't buy into that as that is just one more pitch the umpire needs to be there. Doesn't mean the umpire shouldn't have a discussion with the catcher and maybe the coach between innings.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 02:43pm.