View Single Post
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

BR removing helmet on home run

High school playoff game - regional semis. ASA/Fed rules. 3 man crew.

Ground rules on this field state that once ball reaches parking lot in RF it is a home run - fly ball, or ground ball.

Top of 4th inning, tie score 2-2. R1 on 2nd, R2 on first. B3 hits ball into right field that bounces twice and enters parking lot. Ball ruled home run.

Home coach comes out and asks the umpires to rule B3 out because he says at some point on her travel around the bases, she removed her helmet.

I was watching the game as a spectator, so I am unsure as to when B3 removes her helmet, or IF she did. However, after a meeting with the protest committee, the umpires ruled that the ball is a dead ball on a home run, so removing her helmet did not matter.

I know the ASA rule is that if a player removes their helmet, the player is declared out immediately, and the ball remains live.

What are your thoughts on this? Does the home coach have a legitimate argument? His argument was that it does not matter when she removes it, between home and first, or between third and home, a rule is a rule and must be enforced.

My other questions are:

Who's responsibility is it to watch the B3 for this? BU3 I would think. On this play, all three umpires signaled home run. And the argument that during a dead ball "it does not matter what she does" is weak because, if a runner misses a base, (and properly appealed) or if she passes another runner, you would still have an out - dead ball or live ball.

Does it matter when she removes it? Before the ball becomes dead for entering the parking lot, or after... or would the rule apply at any time?

Thoughts?

Last edited by LIUmp; Fri May 29, 2009 at 11:22am.