View Single Post
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
B,

I agree. The only reason I mentioned the "rim" mentality is that if the ball was in foul ground, that is the last place I am going as an umpire in this scenario. Only working the "rim" would an umpire attempt this in a rotation. Most others would have the umpire inside which in this case trying to navigate through the diamond could have been just as dangerous.

No mechanical rotation is based upon bad play. Sometimes, it is just better to stay pat and announce "2-umpire" to your crew.
"Working the rim" (a specific technique by U1 moving off the line on ball from CF to LF) is a specific case of not following a strict interpretation of the inside-outside theory. The SUIP allowed for this a few years ago, and when employed works wonderfully. However, some umpires use this too often. I see this concept/idea and the specific play at not being related.

I totally agree with your last paragraph, as this addresses the specific play. Weird plays call for the crew to communicate, react, and cover. PU in this case will see if U1 is stuck at first and can take the lead runner from third into home if necessary.